Name Change Petitions in Massachusetts

Name Change Petitions in Massachusetts
Massachusetts Name Change Petitions

Massachusetts Name Change Petitions

A spouse may resume using a maiden name following a divorce in Massachusetts but must specifically ask the court for permission at the final divorce hearing.

An adoption may also invoke a child’s name change if the petitioner requests it.

If you wish to change your name or the name of a minor child at any time other than during a divorce or adoption proceeding, a Petition for Change of Name must be filed.

A few reasons people might change their names or the names of their children include:

  1. In the case of an absent father, a mother may wish to have a child’s surname changed to hers.
  2. If an absent father is now in the picture again, a name change to the father’s surname may also be requested.
  3. People with “ethnic” names that are hard to pronounce sometimes request name changes for ease of spelling.
  4. A name change request can come about simply because a person doesn’t like their name as given at birth.

Name change petitions are heard by the Probate and Family Court of the county where the petitioner resides. In rare situations, a parent will petition the court to change the name over the objection of the non-custodial parent after a divorce is finalized. In Massachusetts, such a name change can be made if it is in the child’s best interest.

Under Massachusetts General Laws c. 210, section 13, the court shall require notice of the petition to be given, and any person may be heard thereon. Therefore, notice of the petition must be given to the non-custodial parent in the case of a petition to change the name of a minor child. The court may order notice through in-hand service by a disinterested party or publication in a local newspaper. When notice of the petition has been given, and no person appeared to object, the court may proceed to allow the name change.

At Wright Family Law Group, we specialize in name change petitions and other name change court filings. Find out how we can help you, too. Contact us today to schedule your consultation at our Danvers or Tewksbury offices.

Don’t Take it From Us

Hear What Our Clients Say


Schedule Your Expert
Consultation Now